*For the people who read this blog I do not use any type of drugs (not even Tylenol) and do not engage in any illegal activity of any kind. I'm also not dissing on people who do.*
Yes, today is a secret international holiday and the people who know about this secret holiday are probably engaged in the ritual of celebrating it. (Hint, Hint; They are smoking something fierce!) Today, people, is 4/20. Pot smokers world wide are flying high as a kite and enjoying it! Even though pot is illegal in most countries world wide some don't ban it completely. In Bahamas you can't smoke pot on land (doesn't mean people don't do it) but it's legal to smoke reefer in the ocean. Down side to that is the waters surrounding the Bahamas (and most tropical places that border with the ocean) is that it's shark infested. That sounds like a terrific idea! (sarcasm -_-).
So while I was sitting in school today listening to all the 4/20 jokes go around a question just biffed me out of the middle of nowhere. The thought was like a full force smack to the back of my head. It was how did this "tradition" start? What's so special about the date? Why did April 20th become the "Secret International Holiday?"
So I set off to research about 4/20 and it's origins because I was curious (and bored). The discoveries I found where interesting. Other than the fact of when I tried to type in stuff to Google for research the most frequently searched list popped up and one of the most frequently searched things was how to grow pot. That didn't surprise me but what did was there was books on how to grow it and what home made items you could use to make it the perfect growing conditions for it. Along with that it even gave step by step instructions on how to prep it to be "used." I was shocked! Not because there was a book about it but that people would openly buy it. I mean that's not like a dead give away or anything! Anyways back to the suspense of what I learned from my epic quest in search of the truth of the real origins behind 4/20.....
The term 4/20 was actually developed by a group of friends (the Waldos) as a code word to go get high and also what time. This common saying happened to be 39 years old since it was created back in 1971! Ironically the date (April 20th) has absolutely nothing to do with the saying other than a few years after the saying got around that people realized it was an actual date that they could name as a "holiday." (If you would like more info about the group who created it and few more random facts about pot my source was http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Brandy.)
Pot is constantly known for it's ability to get you high (duh common sense plays a factor in that one) but it too, like snot (My other blog Our Fascination With Snot), has a medical purpose. Cancer patients use it to give them the classic case of the MUNCHIES!!!!!! (Omn Nom Nom!!!!)That's because Cancer patients normally don't want to eat because they feel nauseas from their treatments. Some people who are diagnosed with Glaucoma (Glaucoma is abnormally high fluid pressure in the eye in which, eventually, the person becomes blind. The rate at which it develops depends on the person.) may use weed to reduce the high fluid pressure in their eyes. But all the weed is, of course, prescribed by a doctor in states that allow it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment